McFarlin Library
University of Tulsa, Tulsa Oklahoma

The original building was begun in 1929 and opened in June 1930.  2004 is McFarlin's 75th anniversary, and as part of that I went around the building and took a LOT of pictures.  Some of these are here.  Later additions were made in the 60s and 70s, but I'm focusing on what remains of the original building.  Many were taken in May 2004, with some digital, a Minolta X-700 and a Minolta X-7, others in December 2004 and January 2005 with a a Minolta X-7.

       

North Wing escutcheon

North Wing.  Men's Locker Room entrance.
When the building was first built, the basement held locker rooms.  These were eventually sponsored by the YMCA/YWCA.

North Wing, West Facade

North Wing, West Facade, the only surviving bit of the old "moat" around the basement rooms.

North Wing, East Facade

South Wing escutcheon

South Wing.  Women's Locker Room entrance.
When the building was first built, the basement held locker rooms.  These were eventually sponsored by the YMCA/YWCA.

South Wing, West Facade (the yellow bars are from workmen cleaning the rocks.

West (old Front) Entrance detail

West (old Front) Entrance detail

West (old Front) Entrance detail

West (old Front) Entrance detail

West (old Front) Entrance detail

West (old Front) Entrance detail.  This used to be the upper end of a stairwell down to the men's restroom in the basement.

West (old Front) Entrance detail.  This used to be the upper end of a stairwell down to the women's restroom in the basement.

This WAS the women's restroom stairwell, but was redirected to the main level entrance to the library when the 1973 underground wing was built.

The window above the stairs looks out next to the West (old Front) Entrance



More of the same stairwell

Looking back into the 1973 underground wing. this hall was originally not here, but was split down the middle and had the men's and women's basement restrooms to either side.

One of the librarian's offices.  The original moat window from the men's basement restroom is behind the sheet rock starting at the right edge of the picture on the wall.  The men's side stairwell is behind the wall behind the monitor.

The Media Center (was originally the Men's side locker room).

At various times this held the periodicals section, seminar rooms, and even the Campus radio station broad cast from here at one point.


The Media Center outside door (was originally the Men's side locker room and is the inside of the door shown above as "North Side. Men's Locker  Room Entrance"

Hall leading into the Media Center.  The books on the shelves were the housing for the "Browsing Collection".  They have since moved again.

Women's Side locker room area as it looks today.  There is a Main Level Computer Lab, and the long hallway running along side it (there are librarian's offices not clearly shown to your left looking down the hallway.  The door at the end of the hallway is the inside of the door shown above as the "South Side, Women's Locker Room Entrance".

At one time this area was the reserve room.


Pay phone and entrance to the "Little Elevator" (the old 1930 elevator)
Originally this was a mechanical room and storage elevator

The old 1930s elevator.

In 1967, the east "wing" was removed and the Chapman wing added.  When this doorway was blasted out in the (then) basement, the plaster cracked all the way to the top of the tower.
 

Just inside the original (west) entrance was a transverse hallway leading to the North and South Wings, with the Circulation Desk and Librarians offices directly in front of the door, and the card catalog to either side.  This is how the area that was the circulation desk appears today

Looking from the area of the Circulation Desk into the South Wing

The Card Catalogs have been replaced by display cases

The Librarians office has been replaced by a small work station.

Was the Librarians Office, but is now the Computer Tech's office.

North Computer Lab, Plaza Level (was 1st Floor, then 2nd Floor).  Was originally the Engineers library/study room, and eventually the North Reference Room.  In the Mid-90s it was remodeled - the detailed ceiling beams were painted over - however you can still see the starry detailed acoustical paneling, which is original

South Computer Lab, Plaza Level (was 1st Floor, then 2nd Floor).  Was originally the Arts and Sciences library/study room, and eventually the South Reference Room.  In the Mid-90s it was remodeled - the detailed ceiling beams were painted over - however you can still see the starry detailed acoustical paneling, which is original

Photo (not by me) from the late 80s/early 90s shows the South Reference Room

The original starry detailed acoustical paneling.

South Stairwell from Plaza Level (was 1st Floor, then 2nd Floor) to the 3rd Floor (was 2nd floor).

Student Study Door. 3rd Floor hall (was 2nd Floor)

Student Study, was originally used as a Museum, then in 1940 became a new reading room.  In the 1990s it housed the Phillips Seminary Collection - North Wing, 3rd Floor (was 2nd Floor)

Student Study ceiling.  When this room was remodeled in the mid-90s, the starry pattern acoustical tile was painted over, but the detailed ceiling beams were not touched. - North Wing, 3rd Floor (was Second Floor)

Detail of ceiling beam in the Student Study

Globe in the Student Study, was a gift in 1959, to honor Dr. Carol Mason

Faculty Study door. 3rd Floor hall (was 2nd Floor)

The 1930s Browsing Room and the modern Faculty Study - South Wing, 3rd Floor (was 2nd Floor)

Quote in the fireplace Faculty Study - South Wing, 3rd Floor (was 2nd Floor)
   

3rd Floor (was 2nd Floor) hall leading to the 1967 Chapman Wing.  The office was built for the Phillips Seminary Library, losing a door to the Stairwell and a smoking lounge
This Floor was originally the bottom level of the 5 floors of shelving in the stacks.

 

Same hall different angle

The other door into the Faculty Study, originally used to access the Stacks from the Browsing Room.
   

These offices on what is now the 5th floor were built in the late 1960s as meeting and study rooms.  Previously it had been book stacks.  Slanty door opens into the South Wing Attic.

Same hall, different angle

Same hall, different angle

Ben Hennecke in his offices on the 5th Floor.  Former TU President, Professor and Alumnus (Class of '33).

More of Dr. Hennecke's office

More of Dr. Hennecke's office

More of Dr. Hennecke's office

More of Dr. Hennecke's office

More of Dr. Hennecke's office
 

Back to Homepage


This page was created by Marc Carlson
It was last edited 22 December 2005