THE DUKE OF GLOUCESTERíS BOOT
ONE of a pair of boots, of singular character, of late seventeenth- century workmanship. They are made of rough-grained black leather, neatly stitched with white thread. The bell tops are of buff leather, pierced and goffered at the lower edge; the heels are low and flat; the toes square and slightly blocked, are 2 inches wide; the total height of the boots from the heels to the bell tops is 8Ĺ inches, the length of the foot is 6 inches. These interesting relics belonged to Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, the son of Princess (afterwards Queen) Anne and Prince George of Denmark. The lad died at the age of eleven, early in 1700.
The boots, which were at one time the property of Alderman Fletcher, now form part of the collection of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.