PLATE XXXVIII

No. 1

A GLOVE
SEVENTEENTH CENTURY

LEFT-HAND glove, made of a thick, warm, grey-coloured felt or out leather. The seams of fingers and thumb are stitched with silver, and the gauntlet, which is made in two parts, is richly embroidered with gold and silver gimp: unfortunately, the lace or fringe edging has disappeared from the gauntlet; the total length is 14 inches.

In the collection of Seymour Lucas, Esqr., R.A.

No. 2

THE PASTON HALL GLOVE

AN interesting glove, probably of the middle of the seventeenth century, of brown leather, neatly embroidered with silver thread. This glove was found a few years since in Paston Hall, Norfolk, arid was presented by the wife of the present owner of the hall, Mrs. John Mack, to the Castle Museum, Norwich. The glove gains some additional interest from the fact that it may have belonged to a member of that ancient family, made so famous by the Paston Hall Papers, published by Sir John Ferm, 1787-89.

No. 3

A LADY’S GLOVE
SEVENTEENTH CENTURY

AN elegant glove for the right hand, of rich fawn-coloured leather of very fine quality. The stitching of the seams is plain; the gauntlet is ornamented in a very unusual manner, with grey and yellow loops or bows of mohair tape, or ribbon intermixed with gold and silver threads, one-half of the back of the hand and knuckles being similarly treated; the lower part of the cuff inside is stiffened with three layers of paper, and is lined with ribbed yellow silk; the entire length of the glove is 11 inches.

In the collection of Seymour Lucas, Esqr., R.A.