PLATE XLI

QUEEN ANNE’S GLOVES
OXFORD

AN unusually elegant pair of early eighteenth-century gloves, of buff leather, in excellent preservation, measuring only 10 inches in length; the gauntlets are short and most elaborately ornamented with a perforated pattern in gold and crimson thread embroidery and small bugle beads of glass; there are four small openings in the gauntlets, over each of which is a bow of ribbon; they are lined with puce silk.

These gloves were left by Queen Anne at Christ Church when on a visit to Oxford, August 26th, 1702, and are now in the Ashmolean Museum.