LADY SHERINGTON’S GLOVES
LATE SIXTEENTH CENTURY
A PAIR of white leather gloves, the gauntlets embroidered with silver and silk of esthetic colouring; the fringe is of silver, and the lining is a pale pink silk. Total length from tip of middle finger to point of the fringe 11˝ inches. These gloves are reputed to have belonged to Lady Sherington, of Laycock Abbey, in Wiltshire. Sir William Sherington purchased the Abbey in 1544, and in 1574 his brother Sir Henry, who had succeeded to the estate, entertained Queen Elizabeth here. There are monuments to the family in Laycock Church. Date of gloves, late sixteenth century.
The property of Mrs. B. Morrell.