Partial Historical Saddle bibliography:
- Amman, Jost, 1539-1591. Kunstbüchlein. Pictorial archive of decorative
Renaissance woodcuts. New York :
Dover,  c1968
"Revised republication, incorporating all 293 illustrations, of the work originally
published by Dover in 1968 under the title 293 Renaissance woodcuts for artists and
illustrators, which was ... republication of Jost Amman's Kunstbüchl[e]in."--T.p.
ISBN 0486219879 (pbk.)
- Beatie, Russel H., 1915- Saddles ; foreword by Dean Kratel ; drawings by
Nancy Kay Niles and by Judy Osburn. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1981.
ISBN 080611584X : $35.00 (There is likely a later and more expensive edition
N.b. Beatie's scholastic value has been called into question, so keep this in mind,
and keep the Morton's handy.
- Country life book of saddlery and equipment. Also known as: The
Howell book of saddlery and tack / consultant editor, Elwyn Hartley Edwards.
New York : Howell Book House, 1988.
Reprint. Originally published: The Country life book of saddlery and equipment.
London ; New York : Country Life Books, 1981.
- Fair Lady Aside. Unknown author, etc.
Informative work on the history of the Side Saddle.
- Liedtke, Walter A. The royal horse and rider: painting, sculpture, and horsemanship,
1500-1800. [New York?] : Abaris Books in association with the Metropolitan Museum of
- Newkirk, Tim. Celtic Warriors. London : Blandford, 1986.
(Page 69 has a photo of a pair of iron Welsh Stirrups, dated late 10th Cent that were
found in Glamorgan. Currently the property of the National Museum of Wales).
- Steffen, Randy, 1917- The horse soldier, 1776-1943, by Randy Steffen ;
ill. by Randy Steffen. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1976-.
v. 1. The Revolution, the War of 1812, the early frontier, 1776-1850. - v. 2. The
frontier, the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Indian wars, 1851-1880. - v. 3. The last of
the Indian wars, the Spanish-American War, the Brink of the Great War, 1881-1916. - v. 4.
World War I, the Peacetime army, World War II, 1917-1943.
- Steffen, Randy, 1917- Horsemen through civilization. Colorado
Springs : Western Horseman, 1967.
This book reprints material originally published in the Western Horseman.
- Steffen, Randy, 1917- United States military saddles, 1812-1943. Illus.
by Randy Steffen. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 
- Vernam, Glenn R. Man on horseback. New York : Harper and Row, 1964.
This page was created by Marc Carlson
It was last edited 9 June 2004